Posts Tagged ‘National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds’
The National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds (ARVC) recognized the achievements of top private park operators, state associations and industry volunteers Thursday during its annual Outdoor Hospitality Conference and Expo in Knoxville, Tenn.
Park of the Year awards were given to RV parks and resorts based on several criteria, including customer service, employee training, operational excellence, national directory ratings and community service. Winners included:
- Small Park of the Year: Big Meadow Family Campground, Townsend, Tenn.
- Medium Park of the Year: Shelby / Mansfield KOA, Shelby, Ohio
- Large Park of the Year: Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve & Campground, Santee, Calif.
- Mega Park of the Year: Sun-N-Fun RV Resort, Sarasota, Fla.
Parks that made exemplary efforts to become environmentally friendly received ARVC’s Plan-It-Green award. The winners included:
- Big Creek RV Park in Annapolis, Mo., which received the award in the small / medium size park category.
- Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve & Campground, Santee, Calif.
Based in Denver, Colo., the National Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds is the only national trade association exclusively representing the interests of privately-owned RV parks, resorts and campgrounds. Membership is comprised of RV park and campground owners and operators, industry suppliers, franchisers and others committed to promoting the growth and welfare of the RV park and campground sector of the outdoor hospitality industry through development and implementation of legislative, regulatory, educational and promotional programs and activities. ARVC is a not-for-profit 501(c)6 organization. Visit www.arvc.org for more information.
When Denny Quigley bought the 164-site Kozy Rest Kampground 12 years ago, it was in need of some TLC with some seasonal and very little overnight business, only one rental cabin and no on-site activities.
But as the campground celebrates its 40th anniversary from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 19th, Quigley and his family will not only be celebrating their park’s longevity, but its transformation into a family friendly park that has become one of the most popular camping venues in western Pennsylvania.
“We treat everyone like family,” Denny Quigley said. “That’s what brings people back.”
Indeed, at a time when growing numbers of American businesses have cut back on face-to-face customer service, Kozy Rest stands apart.
Every overnight guest at Kozy Rest is escorted to their campsite and briefed on the park’s amenities and services. Park staff also visit with their guests periodically during their stay to make sure they have everything they need.
“It’s that personal touch that makes a difference,” Quigley said, adding that amenities alone do not guarantee repeat business.
“You can have a gorgeous park, but if you don’t treat your guests like a friend, it doesn’t make a difference,” he said.
Combining personal, high-quality customer service with improved amenities and activities can make a difference, however. And the Quigley family has done just that.
The Quigleys started by improving the campground’s landscaping and adding a campground store, complete with propane and ice. They later added rental cabins and a mini-golf course.
Even after joining the Jellystone Park chain in January of last year, the Quigleys continued to add more features to their park, including an inflatable bouncer, a mining sluice and a dog park.
The Quigley family’s efforts have generated national recognition, including:
- The “Park of the Year” Award from the National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds, the most prestigious award available in the private campground industry.
- An “A” rating from GuestRated.com, a Murrieta, Calif.-based company that tracks online consumer ratings of campgrounds across the country. This is the forth year in a row that Kozy Rest has received an all around “A” rating from GuestRated.com.
- Four awards from Milford, Ohio-based Leisure Systems Inc., the company that franchises Jellystone Parks across the country. Kozy Rest received Leisure Systems’ Pinnacle Club award for scoring above 95 percent on their annual facilities inspection, as well as awards for Rookie of the Year, Recreational Programming and Outstanding Customer Service.
These awards have helped raise the profile of Jellystone Park at Kozy Rest, while paving the way for increased business from growing numbers of families from Pennsylvania and across the Northeast.
Quigley said the public is invited to attend the park’s open house on May 19th. Sandwiches will be served and there will be special appearances by Yogi Bear, Boo Boo and Cindy Bear. Activities are also planned throughout the weekend for those who plan to stay overnight. For more information on Jellystone Park at Kozy Rest, please visit the park’s website at www.pittsburghjellystone.com.
Forty-four campgrounds, RV parks and resorts earned all around “A” grades in the fourth annual consumer satisfaction survey according to a news release.
The top parks were announced Dec. 2 during the National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds’ (ARVC) annual Outdoor Hospitality Conference & Expo, which took place at the Westin Savannah Harbor Resort & Spa and Savannah International Trade and Convention Center.
More than 30,000 camping and RV enthusiasts participated in the online survey, which evaluated guest experiences at campgrounds, RV parks and resorts that are affiliated with ARVC.
“Consistently earning an overall ‘A’ grade from guests is difficult, and our 44 winners this year represent less than 2% of all of the nation’s campgrounds. But what is even more impressive is that 12 of this year’s winners have also received this award four years in a row,” said Bob MacKinnon, president and CEO of GuestRated.com, the Murrieta, Calif.-based company that conducted the online survey.
“Consumers should take the time to check out the ratings that are posted for each campground on www.GoCampingAmerica.com because that’s the quickest way to tell which parks are best meeting – and exceeding – guest expectations,” said Paul Bambei, ARVC president and CEO.
The 44 Parks Earning “A” Grade This Year
- Acres of Wildlife Campground in Steep Falls, Maine, a three-time winner.
- Anaheim Resort RV Park, Anaheim, Calif., a first-time winner.
- Ashland Resort, Northfork, W.Va., a two-time winner.
- At Rivers Edge RV Resort, Brookings, Ore., a first-time winner.
- Brookdale Family Campground, Meadville, Pa., a first-time winner.
- Buffalo Lake Camping Resort, Montello, Wis., a two-time winner.
- Buttonwood Campground, Mexico, Pa., a four-time winner.
- Camp A Way, Lincoln, Neb., a first-time winner.
- Chalk Creek Campground & RV Park, Nathrop, Colo., a three-time winner.
- Cherry Hill Park, College Park, Md., a three-time winner.
- Cross Creek Camping Resort, Delaware, Ohio, a first-time winner.
- D & W Lake Camping and RV Park, Champaign, Ill., a two-time winner.
- Dogwood Acres Campground, Newville, Pa., a four-time winner.
- Emerald Coast RV Beach Resort, Panama City, Fla., a first-time winner.
- Gettysburg Campground, Gettysburg, Pa., a three-time winner.
- Gold Country Campground Resort, Pine Grove, Calif., a first-time winner.
- Hidden Valley RV Park, Von Ormy, Texas, a first-time winner.
- High Plains Camping, Oakley, Kan., a four-time winner.
- Kalyumet Camping & Cabins, Lucinda, Pa., a first-time winner.
- Keen Lake Camping & Cottage Resort, Waymart, Pa., a three-time winner.
- Kozy Rest Kampground, Harrisville, Pa., a four-time winner.
- Lake George RV Park, Lake George, N.Y., a four-time winner.
- Las Vegas RV Resort, Las Vegas, Nev., a two-time winner.
- Magnolia RV Park & Campground, Kinards, S.C., a two-time winner.
- Meadowcliff Lodge & RV Resort, Coleville, Calif., a three-time winner.
- Mill Creek Ranch RV & Cottage Resort, Canton, Texas, a four-time winner.
- Misty River Cabins & RV Resort, Walland, Tenn., a four-time winner.
- Moose River Campground, Saint Johnsbury, Vt., a first-time winner.
- Mountain Vista Campground, East Stroudsburg, Pa., a three-time winner.
- Myrtle Beach Travel Park, Myrtle Beach, S.C., a first-time winner.
- Ocean Lakes Family Campground, Myrtle Beach, S.C., a four-time winner.
- Pecan Park Campground, San Marcos, Texas, a first-time winner.
- Pioneer Campground, Laporte, Pa., a four-time winner.
- Pismo Coast Village RV Resort, Pismo Beach, Calif., a two-time winner.
- Pontchartrain Landing, New Orleans, La., a three-time winner.
- Red Apple Campground, Kennebunkport, Maine, a three-time winner.
- Rose Point Park, New Castle, Pa., a first-time winner.
- Sunny Brook RV Resort, South Haven, Mich., a four-time winner.
- The Springs at Borrego RV Resort and Golf Course, Borrego Springs, Calif., a two-time winner.
- The Vineyards Campground & Cabins, Grapevine, Texas, a four-time winner.
- West Canada Creek Campsites, Poland, N.Y., a three-time winner.
- Willow Tree Resort, Longs, S.C., a three-time winner.
- Yellowstone Holiday Campground, West Yellowstone, Mont., a first-time winner.
The GuestRated.com national online survey program was launched in 2008 in collaboration with ARVC.
Consumers are invited to submit their own reviews of private campgrounds and RV resorts they have recently visited by logging on to www.GoCampingAmerica.com and clicking on the “Review a Park” tab. Survey results will eventually be posted on the GoCampingAmerica website.
For more information about the online survey program, please contact Bob MacKinnon of www.GuestRated.com at (877) 707-7080 or Paul Bambei of the National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds at (303) 681-0401.