Posts Tagged ‘Michigan state parks’

The Department of Natural Resources and Environment is offering free camping in the summer of 2011 for outdoor lovers who volunteer as campground hosts at Michigan state parks or state forest campgrounds. The Campground Host Program, established by the DNRE, allows individuals to camp in a state park or state forest campground at no charge in return for providing visitor assistance in the campground.

“Being a campground host combines the fun of camping, with the satisfaction of helping fellow campers,” said Ron Olson, DNRE Recreation Division chief. “Hosts stay as our guests and, in return, help welcome other campers to our beautiful state parks, recreation areas and state forest campgrounds.”

Hosts direct visitors to their campsites, answer questions about the park or state forest, arrange campground activities and perform light maintenance and other services, depending on the host’s talents and interests. Retired couples, teachers and students, as well as families, are just some of the people who have enjoyed volunteering as campground hosts.

Campground hosts can be individuals or teams. Hosts must be at least 18 years old, provide services five days/30 hours per week (including weekends and holidays), serve a minimum of four consecutive weeks and furnish their own camping unit, equipment and personal items. State park hosts must attend a two-day training session the end of April 2011 at the Ralph A. MacMullan Conference Center in Roscommon. This training is not required of state forest campground hosts.

Campground hosts are chosen by park and forest managers who may require an interview or request additional information. Selection is based on the individual’s familiarity with the state park or state forest system, their camping experience, special skills, availability, knowledge of the area and the needs of the specific park or forest campground.

Hosts especially are needed during the busy camping season, which can begin as early as April in state parks located in southern Michigan. Many of last year’s campground hosts will be returning this year; however, vacancies still exist at park and forest campground locations throughout Michigan.

Many rustic campgrounds found throughout Michigan’s six state forests located in the Upper Peninsula and the northern Lower Peninsula also are in need of hosts. Information and applications are available from the DNRE’s Web site at Persons interested in being a campground host at a state park should apply directly to the park of their choice. For more information on campground host positions in state parks and recreation areas contact Pam Ames at 517-467-7401; for state forest campgrounds please contact Ada Takacs at 989-275-5151 ext. 2049.

A new system for funding Michigan State Parks begins Friday, when residents will have the option of paying $10 for a “recreation passport” in addition to their vehicle registration fee. Good for a year, the passport will grant access to all 98 state parks and recreation areas, plus boat launches.

Presently, park visitors are charged $6 per day or $24 for an annual pass.

Starting in 2012, the passport rates will increase annually at the rate of inflation. People who don’t buy a passport when renewing a vehicle license can get one at park entrance gates. But doing so eventually will cost more than getting a passport during license renewal.

Even as the price gradually rises, supporters say the passport will remain a bargain. Their challenge is to get the word out – and win over skeptics inclined to say “no” to any request from government for more money.

“I hope the public stands up and says our parks are important and we’re going to support them through this program,” said Erin McDonough, executive director of Michigan United Conservation Clubs, which backs the plan.

The passport wouldn’t be offered to out-of-state residents, who still would be assessed $29 a year or $8 per day.
Full Story…

The State of Michigan is betting the future of its state parks on the willingness of its residents to fork out $10 a year.

The $10 will buy each resident a Recreation Passport, and the program is Michigan’s solution for funding our favorite recreation destinations. It begins October 1, 2010.

Instead of spending $24 for an annual motor vehicle permit or boating access permit, Michigan residents will now be asked to support the Recreation Passport with an optional $10 fee when renewing their vehicle registration with the Secretary of State. The license plate renewal sticker received from the Secretary of State will have a designation that indicates the Recreation Passport payment. If an individual purchases their Recreation Passport fee at the park, the park will provide an identifying sticker.

Camping fees will remain the same. Out of state visitors will still pay the $8 daily, or $29 annual fee for park and/or boating access site entrance. Michigan residents entering a park without the Recreation Passport designation will result in paying a Recreation Passport fee of up to $20 or could result in a $100 fine.
Full Story…

RV Basics eMail Group

Join Our FREE RVBasics Email Discussion Group

Get current information about the RVing lifestyle, and the RV industry from your fellow RVers. You can also post your own questions. We never share your email address with anyone. Get more info about the RVbasics Discussion Group.
Enter your email address below.

Find a Post by Date
November 2019
« Aug