A carbon monoxide (CO) leak almost proved fatal to three campers on the White River National Wildlife Refuge in Arkansas over the Memorial Day Weekend.

The three men were camping in a motorhome at the refuge’s Horseshoe Lake campground Thursday night. The RV air conditioner was not working, so they turned on the vehicle’s engine to cool the sleeping area.

Around 3 a.m., one of the men woke with a headache. Realizing that he was suffering from CO poisoning, he managed to get to the RV’s driver’s seat and honk the horn. Other campers in the area responded and got the men out of the RV. They used the vehicle’s Onstar function to call for help.

Arkansas County Sheriff’s Department deputy Bobby Dumond, refuge officer Richard Gray and an ambulance from DeWitt Hospital all responded.

When they arrived, “the three men were on the ground,” Dumond said. “The ambulance crew gave them oxygen, and they all started to come around.”

The men, whose names were not released, were treated at DeWitt Hospital and released.

Story Source



Leave a Reply

RV Basics eMail Group

Join Our FREE RVBasics Email Discussion Group

Get current information about the RVing lifestyle, and the RV industry from your fellow RVers. You can also post your own questions. We never share your email address with anyone. Get more info about the RVbasics Discussion Group.
Enter your email address below.

Find a Post by Date
December 2019
M T W T F S S
« Aug    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031